Thursday 15 March 2018

New Post: An Online Philosophy "Ranch" to Hang out

New post. I recently looked at my peers and at philosophy and had an idea. There's no central, online forum we can all get together in, like the Agora of old times, to discuss the ideas and problems of the profession.

I wanted a supportive, interesting space where people can put out bright ideas, argue maybe, and even just kick back and have a good time with other thinkers.



Image result for food












So I bring you this post - a Philosophy Ranch! Let us get together here in future and we can talk. I may start things off with a few comments in the comments. But once the ice gets broken, I think I'm going to have a hard time stopping you!

So welcome to the ranch! There are cows at the bottom, there's some food in the middle if you want a nibble, and I may be able to get some wine to share with you. But the most important thing is that you bring your philosophical minds, and leave those preconceptions at the door.


THIS IS A SPECIAL SECTION OF THE RANCH WHERE YOU CAN ENJOY SOME PEACE AND QUIET



..




...




...


So, enjoy the ranch, don't get too much sun, wear your sturdy boots, and jump on the saddle.


After a few people others come and join me here, I might add new structures. S




Image result for cows









Image result for explosiona










l



Image result for banknotes







3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I've spent the last three days hanging out here at the Ranch, gorging myself on the lovely food and enjoying the cows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always hard to know what kind of gift to bring to events like this. Flowers die, and not some people are allergic to various foodstuffs. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend your intention to be inclusive and chill; our profession is indeed more like a patriarchal monopolist's mass-production factory than a ranch. I also embrace the idea of chillin' out to cogitate; but I sense something problematic about designating this safe place a "ranch". Does it not carry connotations of white colonial exploitation, of the "conquering" of the "West" and dispossesion of its righful owners, and of a cis-normative masculinity which reifies the illusions of self-creation and self-reliance, and whose fundamental power comes from the barrel of a gun? I shudder at these connotations. Here is a clip from an historically accurate documentary proving, if proof be needed, that the idea of the "ranch" is inextricably tied to a culture of hetero-normative male dominance: https://youtu.be/6X9tBHX_Fl4

    ReplyDelete